Friday, November 12, 2010

Recruiting--SMCC Starting a Chapter

As part of my internship I am responsible for starting new college chapters. I attended a Black Student Union (BSU) meeting at South Mountain Community College (SMCC) back in September. I stated to them what the organization was including history, focus, purpose, executive board, and local facts. It puzzled me at first because they had a ton of questions for me. After I attended the meeting I felt as though they were not going to become an affiliate of the NAACP. I was thinking that I had failed my mission. Then I realized that it was out of my control. Local community chapters do not follow up. They only show up once you are charted or you are not in compliance. As I have mentioned in earlier posts. There is a gap and just because a national organization approaches you to be apart of them doesn’t necessarily yield benefits. To my understanding, they didn’t want to be just another number to make Arizona look good but they wanted to reap benefits.

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting issue you brought up. I think they use the term "free rider" in economics to describe what you're dealing with. Noone wants to really bare to cost, but are fine with enjoying any potential benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a cool term...Free rider...or free loader as we call it.

    ReplyDelete